Saturday, November 22, 2008

Homemade Maple Nut Granola

Print Friendly and PDF
Our Thanksgiving dinner is the most looked forward to Holiday meal of the year, a repast where food abounds and we're together as a family, but so much time is spent in the kitchen preparing food for the big event that breakfast Thanksgiving morning is usually up for grabs. For the first time in years, I won't have the Thanksgiving dinner at my house so I have had time to think about what would be quick, easy and healthy breakfast, but transportable, too.

While perusing the November-Decembert issue of Eating Well magazine, I found a delicious maple nut granola which not only had the requisite oatmeal, dried fruit and various nuts and seeds, but pure maple syrup and pepitas, green hulled pumpkin seeds. Most commercial brands granola have artificial flavorings, plus loads of ingredients that you may not want in your granola. Pepitas are widely used in Mexican and Southwestern cooking. Those two ingredients made my decision along with the fact that the granola will keep well and can be made ahead. A perfectly transportable breakfast dish. Served with good Greek yogurt and some fresh fruit, our breakfast will be complete.

The recipe came together quickly and the heavenly smells wafting from my oven as the granola baked reminded me of Fall and of Thanksgiving. I have made homemade granola many times, but this one is my all time favorite and will become a staple in my kitchen. When making the granola, feel free to experiment with other dried fruits and nuts to come up with your own personal recipe. Original recipe here.

Maple Nut Granola

5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill is a good brand)
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 unsalted hulled pumpkin seeds(pepitas)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 275°F.

Combine oats, coconut chips, almonds, pecans, brown sugar, sunflower seeds, and pumpkins seeds in large bowl. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine the maple syrup, water and canola oil. Pour over oat mixture, stir to combine well. Place in a 12x15 inch roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Stir, continue baking until granola turns golden brown and begins to crisp about 45 minutes more. Remove from oven and stir in dried cranberries. Cool until room temperature before storing. Makes about 10 cups. Keeps in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Note-you don't have to worry about it keeping for two weeks-the granola will be gone in days. It's that good.

More granola recipes on the Web.

From the foodlibrarian, a lovely mix of homemade granola, yogurt and fresh fruit.

A lovely homemade granola served with mango yogurt and soy milk over at buttersugarflour.

A fruity version from cafefernando.

Cookbookcatchall's granola made with honey.

One year ago on photo blog -Three Apples


The Food Librarian said...

Oh my gosh! This looks sooooo delicious! I want some now!!!

TeaLady said...

I have become a granola maker, too. Found some at a Farmers Market and decided it was much better than store bought - which I can never find here in my little town. And I needed some for a TWD one week. I will try this one now. Thanks for visiting.

pinkstripes said...

Another granola maker here. I now make my own cereal instead of buying the pre-made stuff. Thanks for the recipe--I'm always on the look out for new ones.

scotbrit said...

That looks very festive with the cranberries!

Seamuffin said...

I was so excited to see your post. I'm a huge fan of granola, and yours looks delicious! Yum. :)

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.