Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
After a week long hiatus, this is my second post for today. This week's TWD is a luscious Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie chosen by Tammy of weetreatsbytammy. I found the cake to be delicious. Actually, I have a fair share of the caramel and the cake batter on the recipe page even though I've been trying very hard to keep "Baking From My Home to Your" free of blobs of whatever I've been baking. Dorie suggested using the pages of the book to jot down changes one makes in ingredients and cooking times, etc, but I'm sure stains and such don't qualify as meaningful notations.

I used two 4-inch springform pans, fully intending on topping just one and freezing the other cake, the there was more of the topping than I realized. The cake baked exactly 40 minutes and cooled to room temperature before being place back into the springform pan. When making the caramel for the topping, carefully pay attention to color of the caramel as it turns amber. When it is light amber, I would remove it from the heat and swirl it around the bottom of the pan as it will darken somewhat off the heat. 15 minutes may be enough time for that to happen. The caramel can go from beautiful to scorched in a matter of seconds.

Setting time for the caramel peanut topping is about 20 minutes, but my topping could have set longer as the peanuts kept going South after I took it out of the springform pan.

All in all, a great dessert. Check out TWD for more of the Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie delights.

22 comments:

Sweet Charity said...

Gorgeous cakes- your pictures are really good. I especially like the one of the spoonful of caramelly peanuts!

CB said...

I love your mini springform versions! Adorable. I agree about the caramel time. Mine took about 15 minutes too. Beautiful photos as always.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Emily Rose said...

Your cakes are beautiful! Speaking of stains on cookbooks- my mom owns so many cookbooks that she would always look for stained pages to remind herself if she had made the recipe before- and if there were many stains and the page had begun to warp she would know that she liked the recipe enough to make it more than once!

chocolatechic said...

Oh...wow! Your cake looks wonderful

~Kimberly said...

Those are the cutest little springform pans ever! Great job! Your cakes look delicious!

Engineer Baker said...

It's a sign of love and how good the recipe is if I've made it enough for there to be stains on the page, so I think it's a good thing. Your minis look delicious.

Jess said...

Lovely little cakes...if I had had some mini springforms, I think I would have tackled this recipe.

pinkstripes said...

The color of your caramel is perfect. Looks yummy!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your photographs are stunning and your caramel looks so rich and gooey! Mine came out a little on the thin side.

Tammy said...

your photos are beautiful! thanks for making my pick!!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Beautiful mini cakes and excellent pics!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

drippy caramel is a beautiful thing, so are your mini babycakes!

Bria said...

The cascading peanuts and caramel looks great though!

The Food Librarian said...

Lovely! I love the mini springforms. Your caramel with peanuts is perfect!!!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I love your 4-inch springforms! Miniature cake is the way to go!

Linda said...

Beatuiful photos --- i especially love the picture w. the ladle o' caramel. You're mini versions turned out beautiful!

Marthe said...

Your cakes look delicious!! I loved this one, I used pecans instead of peanuts.

kim said...

gorgeous mini-cakes and lovely photos! lol about the cookbook, this page in my copy now has several caramel blobs ;)

noskos said...

Great looking cakes!

Erin said...

This looks great- your pictures are beautiful! I love the mini version.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Looks perfectly delicious, as always!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I have oggled that cake so many times in my cookbook. And yours is making me die over here. Those caramel peanuts are utterly fabulous!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.