Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dimply Plum Cake-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF

Michelle over at Bake-en chose the Dimply Plum Cake, a great dessert to kick off Fall. I love all the variations of color in the different varieties of the plum family. My grocery store had pluots, called dinosaur plums, which are a cross between an apricot and a plum, black plums, a variety of red plum and prune plums. While the large plums looked very nice nestled in the cake, I chose the prune plum for it's small size and black, purple color. The prune plums were quite easy to pit by cutting through the seam to halve them and rotating the plum slightly enabled the pit to be easily removed.

When selecting plums, look for good color, no bruises or spots with a slight firmness when lightly pressed. Avoid over ripe plums as well as plums that are too hard. Store plums at room temperature until they are ripe, then store ripened plums in the refrigerator until ready to use.

As Dorie suggested, you can use many different stone fruits to make this simple cake. The cake is quite dense and should be eaten the day it is made as it tends to dry out quickly. An apple glaze brushed on top of the cooled cake gave it a nice sheen and added a little more sweetness to the cake. The whipped topping is a combination of sweetened whipped cream and sour cream, similar to a creme fraiche. The topping has more depth than just plain whipped cream and I use it frequently to top fruit desserts. Be sure to check out all the lovely Dimply Plum Cakes on the TWD site. Michelle will have the full recipe on her blog, Bake-En. Or you can buy the book, "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan.

15 comments:

Lori said...

i love the idea of an apple glaze! that's cool. the smaller plums seemed to work better than the big ones, which is what i found in my store. beautiful cake!

CB said...

Thanks for the plum buying lesson! Usually when I buy plums I get maybe 1 good one out of the bunch. Next time I go to the grocery store I'll come prepared with your tips! Your dimply cake looks awesome. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Amy said...

Mmmm, this looks great! I loved this cake so much!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Your cake looks lovely! Love the apple glaze! Well done!

rainbowbrown said...

I thought this was a great choice for the time of year. Your looks yummy!

Engineer Baker said...

I love the apple glaze and creme fraiche-like topping. Wonderful ideas.

chocolatechic said...

Yours looks lovely.

I ended up using apples

Tracey said...

Good idea for the glaze. I love the first picture - looks great!

BAKE-EN said...

I made a glaze too, I think it really needed it!

The Food Librarian said...

Your cake looks great! I love the variety of plums around too. The apple glaze is a great idea!

confectiona said...

Your photos are so lovely!

Erin said...

Your cake looks great! I think the apple glaze would be yummy!

Barbara said...

Love your cake! Smaller plums, apple glaze, whipped cream/sour cream -- wish I'd been eating it at your place!

Jaime said...

your cake turned out so well w/the pluots. mine was too dry :(

Amelia PS said...

love this dessert!!!
here's my version with pic: http://www.ztastylife.com/2009/10/does-world-need-yet-another-food-blog.html

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.