Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Creme Brulee-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
It's time for Tuesdays with Dorie again! Gosh,it seems like Tuesday was just yesterday. The weekend was a blur and here I am on a Monday afternoon frantically trying to get the photos of the Creme Brulee so I can write the post for tomorrow. Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake chose a classic dessert, Creme Brulee which is de rigueur on dessert menus in many upscale restaurants.

I have made some version of the Creme Brulee many times, but have almost always used the water bath method of baking the creamy concoction. Dorie doesn't use the water bath method in her Creme Brulee recipe and also bakes the creme brulee at a lower temperature, 200°F. I made two batches once in a standard ramekins, plus two espresso cups and another time in a shallow pan as the recipe instructions suggested. Despite the difference in the size and depth of each baking pan, the baking times were way over 60 minutes, 90 minutes or more. The individual ramekins were cooled and chilled in the refrigerator, but with the one shallow dish, I set it over a pan of ice and chilled it. It firmed up very nice. In essence, I'm not sure it matters what dish you bake the Creme Brulee in, it will turn out the same.

Not having a torch to caramelize the sugar topping, I set the chilled ramekins and the espresso cups on a bed of ice and ran them under the broiler until lightly browned. The added sugar really enhanced the Creme Brulees and cracking through the caramelized sugar topping was quite a thrill. I will make these again, but will use the water bath method and increase the heat to 275°. Old habits are hard to break when it comes to cooking.

As you can see, I wasted no time eating the creme brulees. Visit MevrouwCupcake for the recipe and the TWD blogroll for other cracking good (no pun intended) Creme Brulees.

29 comments:

HoneyB said...

AWESOME photos!

Lori said...

your photos are especially charming today! i love the one with the spoons....though the ones with creme brulee aren't bad either. :)

chocolatechic said...

Just gorgeous.

This was my first time for making it.

We loved it.

Isabelle said...

c'est superbe ! je suis envieuse de ta belle argenterie! elle est magnifique

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Your pictures are fabulous, as always! I totally agree with you, by the way, the water bath method at higher heat works for me. My custards took well over 60 minutes to firm up, as well.

Bria said...

Very cute in the espresso cup! I found that 50-60 minutes was fine for mine, but it seems it was not enough time for most. I think my ramekins were about 2/3 cup...

Christine said...

The espresso cups are a wonderful idea, I love the way it looks! Mine took about 90 minutes to cook and did not come out as nice as yours did under the broiler. Great job!

Engineer Baker said...

Aawww, I love the little teacups of creme brulee. Just cute and beautiful.

CB said...

Love love love the little teacups! Gorgeous photos as always!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Rachel said...

The mugs are so cute! Beautiful photos!

rainbowbrown said...

What a pretty presentation. Well done!

Teanna said...

I love the presentation! Absolutely gorgeous! I'd like to try them in the water bath... it sounds like a great technique!

Madam Chow said...

I'm just amazed at how many lovely pictures there are this week of this dessert, including your! Glad it turned out so well.

Jess said...

I love the espresso cups...I wanted to try mine in some little demitasse cups but wasn't sure how it would work out, so thanks for being my guinea pig! Lovely pictures.

Mary Jo said...

i love the creme brulee in the espresso cups!

Rachelle said...

OOh so pretty!!

Mine will be up later, they are still in the fridge :)

Linda said...

Beautiful presentation! My baking time exceeded the 50-60 minutes as well.

Tracey said...

Beautiful! I love your spoons!

Erin said...

This looks great- your pictures are beautiful!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

beautiful cups and spoons! makes a fancy dessert even more elegant!!

The Food Librarian said...

Lovely photos and everything looks so delicious! They look adorable in the little tea cups!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Great idea to put the ramekin on ice during broiling! Your pictures are lovely. I can see the crunch of your topping! BTW, I gave you an award. :)

kim said...

the espresso cup-creme brulees are adorable! love your photos as always. i am going to have to try with the water bath, it just took way too long to bake!

n.o.e said...

Your creme brulees look great in those expresso cups. I used regular teacups and mine were kind of lost in the depths! I'm glad the broiler method worked so well for you.
Nancy

Maya said...

I will have to make it when I get back from my vacation.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Such pretty table settings! Those cups of Creme Brulee look nice and crackly - you did well with the broiler method.

Jaime said...

i love how you made some in the tea cups - what a great way of presenting something so familiar :) great job w/the broiler too! you got some nice caramelization there...

oh and thank you for the link about the header - now i need to find some time to pick an image :)

Jude said...

Awesome pictures as always. Such fun to browse your website.

Jacque said...

Mmmmm, your creme brulee looks like it's dressed up for a party! So pretty!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.