Pages

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Black and White Banana Loaf

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday is the busiest day of the week for me as it is usually catch-up day after a full weekend and why I choose to do my baking for TWD on that day is beyond me. Usually, I have last minute ingredients to buy, especially if I need something fresh for what I am baking. So I drag out and go to exercise class, then do my shopping for the day, then rush home, prepare my dish and then work on the photography. By the time all that is done, I have no time to upload the photos and write the post. So here I am, Tuesday morning at 7:30 am writing when I know everyone else in the group has already posted their entries.

I haven't marbled a cake in a long time. I think the first time was with a cake mix with individual packets for the light and dark batter and was baked in a bundt pan. I don't remember having any difficulties doing the marbling. I do remember the cake was dry and tasteless as many cake mixes are. This Black and White Banana Loaf chosen by Ashlee of A Year in the Kitchen was a very moist cake with a flavorful combination of bananas, chocolate, rum, nutmeg and lemon zest. Trying so hard not to overdo the marbling, I didn't get quite the effect I was hoping for. I spooned the batter in the pan in a light, dark light pattern, but should have done a few more "zigs" to better distribute the chocolate. Nevertheless, my technique of marbling certainly didn't affect the flavor of the loaf.

While great with a cup of hot coffee, I served the loaf with an iced cafe au lait perfect for a humid 98° day in Georgia. Next TWD is Dorie's Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream chosen by Delores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity. Ice cream is my favorite dessert to make so I'm excited about making this lovely colored frozen concoction. Head over to Ashlee's blog for the recipe for Black and White Banana Loaf and to the TWD site for other posts on this loaf.

18 comments:

rainbowbrown said...

Your beverage pairing sounds absolutely perfect. The loaf looks marvelous, I think. Very nice.

Bumblebutton said...

Iced cafe au lait does sound like the perfect accompanyment! Nice job--and I didn't write up my post until this morning either. Thankfully, mine had but few words...

TeaLady said...

Looks good to me. Marbling turned out better than mine. Good job.

CB said...

I do the same thing! I tend to bake on Monday, last minute. Why? I have no idea! Beautiful pictures. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

The DeLadurantey Sisters said...

I love your pictures! They are awesome!

Rebecca said...

Oh, I think I'll ditch my loaf and make the cafe au lait – also perfect in hot, humid Tennessee. ;)

Christine said...

Your pictures are beautiful and your marbling is perfect!

Engineer Baker said...

Iced cafe au lait? What a fantastic pairing! And your marbling looks wonderful too.

Linda said...

Iced cafe au lait...yum! Beautiful looking loaf and goreous photos!

Natalie said...

Oooh, iced cafe au lait and Black and White Banana Loaf - can I come over to your house for brunch? :)

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Your loaf looks great!

I can totally commiserate on the overly busy life saga too, sometimes I just drop everything for a bit, and feel terribly guilty about it, but I need that downtime.

Madam Chow said...

Beautiful, and gorgeous photos, as usual!

Pamela said...

I try to not bake things last minute, but I do tend to procrastinate quite a bit. Looks good, but I'm ready for the ice cream!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I think you did an excellent job - I really like the marbled effect you got, it's a different and pretty one.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Btw...

I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for an award, so please feel free to play along, if you so desire!

Jules Someone said...

Your marbling turned out really well. Nice job!

Maya said...

Mine usually happens at the last minute too....

Jaime said...

your loaf looks great! i under swirled my first time, like you did, w/the perfection pound cake. unfortunately this time i overmixed and didn't get great marbling either. at least, like you said, it didn't affect the taste :)

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.