Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lemon Verbena Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
What a perfect Tuesday to make Dorie's Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream. A few days ago, my sister Martha, of crossingstitches gave me a gallon Ziploc bag packed with the most beautiful blueberries I've seen this summer. Since then, I have made blueberry pancakes, a blueberry rhubarb crisp and this lovely magenta blueberry ice cream. With the few cups I have left, I plan on making a blueberry corn custard. If it looks good, maybe I will post it in a few days. I'll be at the beach next week without an Internet connection which is probably a good thing. I need a break from cooking and writing. All I want to do is lounge on the beach and catch up on reading the stack of books on my nightstand. Last summer at the beach, my friends and I took the boat in the little creeks around Savannah to do some crabbing. The crab cakes I made from our mess of crabs were the best I've ever had. But on to the Lemon Verbena Sour Cream Blueberry Ice Cream.


A pint of ice cream doesn't last very long in this family of ice cream aficionados, so I doubled the recipe without any problems. I considered using lime and lime zest instead of the lemon, but I have a very prolific lemon verbena plant whose leaves I used to infuse the cream instead of the mint as suggested as an alternative. Next time I make the ice cream, I will use the lime zest and juice.

Thanks to Delores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity for choosing such an appropriate recipe to beat the heat of August. You will also be able to see the recipe on Delores' blog.For other variations of the Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream, head over to the TWD blog roll.

35 comments:

TeaLady said...

Ice cream looks lucious. Verbena Lemon is not something I am familiar with, but will look for them. Great job!

Teanna said...

I love the idea of using lemon verbena! Your ice cream looks absolutely gorgeous!

Christine said...

Have a wonderful time at the beach and catch up on all of my reading for me! Your ice cream looks delicious and the lemon verbana sounds wonderful!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Lemon verbena sounds like a great swap. I've been seeing it used a lot on the blogs lately. Your ice cream looks delish and the photos are beautiful! Where did you find those cute little buckets? I love them!

CB said...

Your pictures are amazing. Gorgeous blueberry color. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Jessie said...

Lemon verbena is a great idea. Your ice cream and photos are exceptionally beautiful.

Isabelle said...

tes photos sont magnifiques :) j'adore la façon dont tu as joué sur les couleurs .

Tara said...

Looks so good..not sure what lemon verbena is..I'll have to look it up!

Lori said...

i just adore that top photo! and using lemon verbena, such a great idea. i'll have to try it the next time i make this ice cream!

The DeL Sisters said...

I love your pics they are awesome!

Susie Homemaker said...

Those pictures are AMAZING. Just beautiful.

Maria said...

Oh I am in love! I have a lemon verbena plant and now I know what to do with it! Thanks!!

Engineer Baker said...

Fresh blueberries are a wonderful thing to have. Love the lemon verbena add, and I'm waiting on results of all the delicious things you're making!

Erin said...

Your ice cream looks beautiful! I bet it was really great with the verbena lemon.

Kelly H said...

Your little pots are really cute -- gorgeous pictures.

LyB said...

What a beautiful presentation! I loved this ice cream too. Enjoy your time at the beach! :)

Pamela said...

All of the scoops in that bowl look luscious! Great job.

Rebecca said...

Gorgeous pics, and ice cream ain't easy. Beautiful job!

Dolores said...

Lemon verbena, I love it! And I'd also appreciate the blueberry corn custard recipe; it sounds delicious!

Bria said...

Great idea to add lemon verbena! Those blueberries do look great!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Oh how absolutely gorgeous! I could eat the whole dish of icecream.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

You can never have too many blueberries!

n.o.e said...

I really enjoyed this post! Fabulous photography and wonderful food. Corn pudding and crabcakes, mmmm. Your ice cream is perfection.
Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

scotbrit said...

What delicious looking ice cream!! I can almost taste it. And the photos ain't bad either...

Madam Chow said...

Beautiful!

Bumblebutton said...

Ooo I LOVE your super darling ice cream pails! Have a great time at the beach!

Maya said...

I am looking forward to going to the beach this weekend but I am not sure if I would be able to make all those goodies!Nice job on the ice cream!

Tartelette said...

Love lemon verbena and berries together! Stunning photographs as always Lynne!

Sophie said...

What a pretty presentation :), the colors all go lovely together! great photo :D.

Claudia said...

Wow, your pics are just awesome! So delicious. Great job!

Lynnylu said...

Thanks everyone. I may not reply to each one of you in this post, but will definitely read and reply to your posts.

Kait said...

Gorgeous photos--you're so talented! And the lemon verbena sounds like an inspired choice.

Jaime said...

looks like we both decided to go w/mini scoops :) your plating and presenation is very beautiful w/the fresh blueberries

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

the photos are simply exquisite. I love the additon of lemon verbena. All and all a great job.

Jude said...

Oh my goodness. Your photographs are just stunning. Amazing stuff.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.