Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Summer Fruit Galette

Print Friendly and PDF

There was no doubt in my mind what fruit I would choose to make Dorie's Summer Fruit Galette. My neighbor had given me a big basket of luscious peaches from South Carolina. Georgia may be the Peach State, but South Carolina has always had the best and biggest peaches. My visit to the local fruit stand confirmed that blueberries were still being picked in nearby Waynesboro, Georgia. A big stainless steel bin with a scoop housed these purple blue jewels and I was inspired to line each of my peach halves with these little beauties, mosaic style.

Michelle of Michelle in Colorado Springs picked a perfect summer dessert that with some do ahead prep comes together fairly easy. I made the "Good For Almost Everything Pie Dough" in the early morning, headed out to exercise class for an hour, came back and completed the galette in about two hours. I had some pineapple marmalade left over from making Pineapple Pate de Fruit so used that first to spread on the dough and with no graham crackers in the house, I crushed a few vanilla wafers to absorb the juices from the peaches. Six whole peaches were dropped into boiling water for about 25 seconds, cooled and skins removed. The peaches were cut in half and arranged cut side down on top of the jam and vanilla wafer crumbs, then lined with the blueberries. After baking for 25 minutes, the custard was poured on top, then baked for 13 minutes. The custard was a lovely afterthought by Dorie to refine some of the rustic nature of the galette.The Summer Fruit Galette is best served within a few hours-to guests, but to my family, it tasted wonderful for breakfast the next morning. A very unorthodox breakfast, but delicious, nevertheless.

To see what the creative TWD bakers have done with the Summer Fruit Galette, visit the TWD site. If you don't already own a copy of "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan, you are missing one of the best cookbooks out there on baking classic desserts for family and friends. The recipe for Summer Fruit Galette can be found on Michelle's blog.

25 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

What a beautiful galette! I love the basket of peaches - they look so wonderfully delicious.

Pamela said...

Wow! It's beautiful. Great picture of the peaches and the berries, too.

B said...

Peach and blueberries... delicious! I will definitely be trying that out when Summer comes around.

Susie Homemaker said...

Stunning. Not fair. At. All.

Amy said...

This is just beautiful! I love that last pic!!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Natashya said...

Great photos, so colourful.
I love the galette, it looks delish!

Meeta said...

This looks great. I think I have missed this recipe in Dorie's book how weird. I love your choice of fruit. Simply gorgeous!

Engineer Baker said...

Gotta love all those blueberries nestled in there. Awesome.

Teanna said...

Wow, that is the most beautiful galette! Those South Carolina peaches really are something!

scotbrit said...

That looks absolutely delicious. AND we in South Carolina thank you for admitting that our peaches are the biggest and best!

Christine said...

Wow! I love the pic with the peaches and blueberries, your galette looks delicious! Love the blueberries nestled perfectly with the peaches!

Roni said...

Your galette is beautiful, it looks like it is just bursting with fruit! I love the picture on the paddle.

Madam Chow said...

One of the things that I love about TWD is that I keep discovering new blogs (to me, that is). Your's is beautiful! I love the gorgeous photos of the galette and the fruit!

Erin said...

Your galette looks beautiful! I'm from South Carolina and used some really good fresh peaches too- aren't they the best?

Heather B said...

It looks beautiful! Great job!

Heather B said...

Great job! It looks delicious! I left an ward for you on my blog! Your blog is a treat to visit!

The DeLadurantey Sisters said...

Yours looks so beautiful! I agree it would have been very good for breakfast, great thinking!

Vanamala said...

Nice blog you have ..i love all your food pics..

Michelle H said...

Great photos and the end product looks amazing. :o)

n.o.e said...

I'm in Georgia also, and while I'm partial to Georgia peaches (used them in my galettes along with raspberries) I will admit that SC has delicious peaches also! Your galette is gorgeous.

CB said...

That last picture belongs in a magazine! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

rainbowbrown said...

Oy, that looks truely delicious. Good show.

Jules Someone said...

That looks just gorgeous!

Sophie said...

your galette looks really yummy, the photo really captures the comfort food aspect of the dessert nicely :)

Jaime said...

your galette looks beautiful, just like i imagine dorie would want it to look - could be the picture that belongs in the cookbook!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.