Pages

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

Print Friendly and PDF
















Yum, blueberries! One of my favorite berries! This beautiful, deep purple berry is of the fourteen superfoods highlighted in the book, "Superfoods", by Dr. Steven G. Pratt.According to Dr. Pratt, blueberries are everyone's favorite superfood and are high in antioxidants, substances which enhance our immune system and lower the risk of cancer and infection. How wonderful to have something that tastes great and is actually good for you. Having said that, we will forget this blueberry pie has a crust and concentrate on the delicious blueberry.


The Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie, chosen by Amy of South in Your Mouth was perfect for a Fourth of July dessert. Blueberries are very plentiful during the month of July, so is an appropriate food for celebration. We celebrated by totally wiping out this luscious pie in one sitting. Lucky, I had family visiting as I would have hated eating the whole thing myself. The pie is that good!

Before joining several baking groups, I only made pies at Thanksgiving , but had hit and miss success with the pie crusts. After using Dorie's "good for everything pie crust", my frustrations are over. The crust came together perfectly and the only thing I would do differently is to trim more off of the overlapping bottom crust than I did. I thought my crust edges were a little too thick.



The finely chopped lemon verbena added to the blueberry pie mixture enhanced the flavors of the lemon zest and juice and gave the pie some depth. The same day I bought the blueberries for the pie, I also bought some wild plums, cooked them down, passed them through a sieve ,and made a plum ice cream to go with the pie. As my photo shows, the ice cream wasn't firm enough at the time, but the taste combination was heavenly.

Check out the TWD blogroll for some fabulous photos of Dorie's Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie. The book, From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan is well worth buying.


29 comments:

Amy said...

Your pie is beautiful, and the plum ice cream sounds so yummy!

rainbowbrown said...

Hooray for blueberries! Your pie looks fantastic and with lemon verbena? *yuuum*

Engineer Baker said...

Lemon verbena sounds like a wonderful addition!

Teanna said...

The color of the plum ice cream looks delicious! And the pie does as well! I am so glad someone did the lemon verbena! I wish I had some! I don't even know where to find it!

Prudy said...

Gorgeous pics-I love how you styled your pretty pie. I'm off to peek at your roasted lemon sorbet-yum again.

ostwestwind said...

The verbena is a wonderful addition, isn't it? I liked that idea more than mint. Your pie looks great.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Pamela said...

Your pie looks scrumptious!! Great job.

Susie Homemaker said...

yum - plum ice cream?? you really did toooo much!!

Dianne said...

I like the idea of plum ice cream. I'm going to have to try that sometime! I paired my pie with White Chocolate Vanilla Bean ice cream. :)

kim said...

your pie is perfection, awesome job!! :)

Bumblebutton said...

Your pie looks fabulous, and your additional flavors are imaginative and sound so good!

Katie B. said...

Yum - truly inspired flavor combinations in this dessert! And it looks terrific, to boot!

Christine said...

Yum ice cream. Your pie is beautiful!

Dolores said...

Oh, I bet the verbena added a subtle sensational touch. I'm with rainbowbrown... yum!

Roni said...

Your pie and your pics are gorgeous. The pie and ice cream combo sounds heavenly!

Kayte said...

Super food for a super pie...looks wonderful. Great photos, too!

Steph said...

Your pie and pictures look amazing. Your family is very lucky. The icecreams looks fabulous with the pie!

Linda said...

That plum ice cream sounds insanely good...and the pie looks heavenly!

PheMom said...

Wonderful job! Your fluted edge looks perfect!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Both your pie and your wild plum ice cream looks amazing!

confectiona said...

Love the photos -- you really know how to make the food look its best.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Your pie looks lovely and that ice cream looks fabulous. I'll bet that combo was out of this world!

Sandie said...

Your pie looks gorgeous, and the ice cream sounds like a great match.

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

Your pie and ice cream look nice. The ice cream looks soft, but smooth. Great job!

Jules Someone said...

Mmmm! Blueberry pie and plum ice cream? Mmmmm.

Barbara said...

Mmmm, lemon verbena. Mmmm, plum ice cream. Wish I'd been there to taste your pie! Good work!

Allison said...

Wow. Wild plum ice cream AND blueberry pie? I want to go to your house for the 4th! Looks amazing!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

\what a lovely looking pie. I love the picture of the blueberries!!!!

Jaime said...

plum ice cream sounds delightful w/this pie!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.