Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Chocolate Pudding

Print Friendly and PDF
I pondered all weekend about how I could embellish the chocolate pudding recipe from Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking From My Home to Yours". It seemed such a straightforward dessert, no frills, just a deep dark pudding with two different forms of chocolate, unsweetened cocoa and bittersweet chocolate. I nearly had my mind made up to use Mexican chocolate and a spice such as cinnamon and maybe, add a touch of cayenne for heat. While flipping through Dorie's cookbook for topping ideas, I stopped at the White Chocolate whipped cream. That would be a great topping for the pudding! I would use the white chocolate with coconut that I used for the Opera Cake and sprinkle toasted coconut over the whipped cream.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." And they did! Making the pudding was no problem. I used my hand blender to mix everything as I am not a fan of putting hot liquids in my food processor and with a smaller than 9 cup container, I would have to process the pudding in batches. Making the white chocolate whipped cream using the white chocolate with coconut probably would have turned out well had I not been over zealous whipping the cream and white chocolate mixture. The whipped cream didn't hold "firm peaks, but quickly went to butter. I had no time or inclination to start over with the whipped cream, so just topped the puddings with the toasted coconut. Maybe it would have been too rich anyway. I saved the white chocolate butter-who knows, it may work with some chocolate muffins or bread.

Melissa of Melissa's Kitchen chose the Chocolate Pudding for this edition of Tuesdays with Dorie much to the delight of my husband who absolutely loves chocolate pudding. Now when I have to go out of town, I will leave him with a pot of spaghetti sauce and a batch of chocolate pudding. Head over to TWD and check out all the posts on this definitely better homemade chocolate pudding.

18 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I absolutely love your photos - they are always stunning!

I have a book (sorry, I'm not at home now, can't check which one I'm talking about) that says that if you whip your cream to the point of becoming butter, just add a little more cream and fold it in. I have never tried it, but maybe it works.

Your chocolate pudding looks extremely delicious.

Rebecca said...

The toasted coconut on the chocolate pudding looks amazing–such a great contrast in color AND texture.

White chocolate butter would probably be pretty tasty spread on muffins or a quick bread. Mmmmmmmmmm.

rainbowbrown said...

That's a beautiful mound of coconut. And white chocolate butter? I think you may have just discovered something great.

Christine said...

Your photos are beautiful. Chocolate and coconut oh yummy, pudding looks delicious!

Em said...

So purdy!!

Susie Homemaker said...

wow - even for a supposed failure - these pictures are just gorgeous...and let me know if you find a use for your chocolate butter - I bet that would be great on zucchini bread?

PheMom said...

That looks and sounds fabulous!

Melissa said...

The coconut is a great idea!

kim said...

the white choc butter actually sounds delicious! :) glad you liked the pudding itself. gorgeous photos!

Dolores said...

Oooh... I love the toasted coconut and the blender replacement. Great job!

Heather B said...

toasted coconut sounds delicious with the pudding! Great job!

Linda said...

love the shredded coconut as a topping!!! Coconut and chocolate is a fav flavor combo for me (yes, I love Mounds candy). Gorgeous photos as well!!!

Mike Spoodles said...

Wow! Coconut! It's astounding to see all of the off-the-beaten-path ideas coming from TWD bakers. How did it taste with just the pudding and the coconut?

Carol Peterman said...

You could be on to a whole new concept for compound butters! Lovely looking pudding.

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

Your pictures are gorgeous as always. White chocolate butter sounds yummy, even if it wasn't what you were going for!

Lynnylu said...

Patricia-thanks for the tip.
Revecca=thanks, I agree, the butter will be great on muffins.
rainbow brown-thanks, I love chocolate and coconut together.
christine-thanks.
em-thanks
susie homemaker-will keep you posted on the accidental white chocolate butter.
phemom-thanks
melissa-thanks-good pick for TWD.
kim-thanks, I may make the combo again to see if it tasted as good as I imagined.
delores-thanks, I use my hand blender quite a bit. It's great.
heather b-thanks
linda-thank, I didn't think of it as a mounds bar at the time, but it is my favorite candy bar.
mike-it tasted fabulous with the coconut on top and the slight hint of Kahlua in the pudding.
carol-thanks, will experiment with the butter and see what I can come up with.
queen of quite a lot-thanks.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

That coconut topping looks very attractive on your pudding. I'm sure it tasted great.

Jaime said...

looks wonderful, even w/o the white chocolate whipped cream!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.