Pages

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Apple Cheddar Scones

Print Friendly and PDF
As with many food origins, it's not perfectly clear where the term "scone" came from and whether is rhymes with "stone" or "John", but its ingredients of flour or oats, buttermilk or butter and a leavening agent are consistent. My grandmother was of Scottish ancestry and cooked her scones, called griddle scones, in an iron frying pan on top of the stone. The dough she used was our basic biscuit dough.

Scones have become very popular in coffee bars in the US and usually contain dried fruit, nuts or chocolate chips. Some are sweet and some are savory. Dorie's "Apple Cheddar Scones", chosen by Katrina of The Floured Apron, for this week's TWD are little bit of both, sweet with the addition of the dried apples and savory with the cheddar cheese, but still would be great as part of an afternoon tea served with a sweet jam. With this mouthwatering combination, it was the perfect time to use the jar of "Red Bell Pepper and Ancho Chile Jam" that I had bought recently. The combination of the spicy sweet jam and the cheddar and apples in the scones made me think of the foods of the Southwest. The jam was a bit pricey, but convenient to have on hand for this quick bread.

My granddaughters, who are visiting me for a week, weren't convinced that my scones with the spicy jam was something they would enjoy, but at least posed for a photograph pretending to eat the scones.




The recipe from "Baking From My Home to Yours" is a definite keeper. Dorie Greenspan has put together some very useful and tasty recipes in her book and I would suggest that anyone who enjoys baking and serving wonderful homey food to their families and friends buy this book. I plan to buy "Baking With Julia", another of Dorie's books and a PBS series. Check out all the TWD posts on these lovely little Apple Cheddar Scones.

21 comments:

Pamela said...

I think it's cute that your grand-daughters posed for the pictures! The combo of the jam with the scones sounds pretty tasty.

ostwestwind said...

Learning British English at school and after some vacation in the UK I learned they are pronounced like John :-) and they are completly different from Dories ... An interesting combination with that spicy jam, like the pictures.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

I'm intrigued by the combo of scone and jam... Your scones look wonderful though!

Amy said...

Your pictures are fabulous! The jam you chose sounds wonderful.

rainbowbrown said...

Sounds yummy. Great job!

Susie Homemaker said...

Love the pics...and the proper looking party!

Madam Chow said...

The scones look tasty, but I'm particularly interested in that jam . . . .

kim said...

that jam sounds really good! beautiful photos! :)

Dolores said...

Yes, I bet the bell pepper and ancho jam would go *great* with these scones. And thanks for sharing your Scottish grandmother's story. My Swedish grandmother made something very similar.

Erin said...

Your scones look great! I'm sure they were delicious with that jam!

Jacque said...

I'll bet your two granddaughters are lovely! They make great scone eater models, lol.

Your scones look just like Dorie's. I am jealous, mine looked like lava rocks. Did you do something special to make them smooth? Did you knead yours? (I did the spatula/stirring option.)

Anyway, great job, they look fantastic.

Kayte said...

Love the photo shoot...such fun. Scones look great...jam sounds like a lot of fun and very good for that combo...what's not to love about all of this? Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Christine said...

The jam with scones sounds wonderful! I hope your grand-daughters had fun great job!

Katie B. said...

O boy - I actually have some of that jam! I can't wait to try the combo!! Yum!

Karina said...

The red pepper and ancho chile jam sounds like a great addition! Lovely scones.

Heather B said...

scones and jam...yuuum! Great job!

Rebecca said...

Spicy jam with these scones sounds deeelish.

Lynnylu said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I loved making these scones and will definitely do them again.

Jules Someone said...

What an interesting sounding jam! Those scones look lovely.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I love the fact that you made your granddaughters pose with the scones..LOL! They look great, btw!

Caitlin said...

I totally enjoed taking those pictures and the scones were very good!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.