Monday, July 07, 2008

Roasted Lemon Sorbet

Print Friendly and PDF

I just recently bought Gale Gand's book "Short and Sweet", a collection of quick desserts which require eight ingredients or less. After making desserts in the last few months that have ingredient lists as long as my arm, this book really piqued my interest. I needed some simple dishes because most of my time is spent setting up and photographing what I make. Ms. Gand's book was perfect as the contents were separated into 15, 30, and 45 minutes needed to prepare the dish, plus a "kid's in the kitchen section", a perfect introduction to teaching children to make unique and fun desserts.

There are many recipes in the book that I want to make, but finally settled on the Roasted Lemon Sorbet, a 30 minute recipe, but the concept of roasting citrus fruit was intriguing. I've roasted other fruits and vegetables, but never lemons, limes or oranges. Before buying your lemons for this recipe, you may want to take the cup you will use to serve with you to the grocery store and pick the size lemons that will fit in your cup. I used some espresso cups that had a larger opening and then narrowed at the base. You will only need four of the same size lemons for your serving dishes. Lemons aren't cheap these days. The Roasted Lemon Sorbet will also look great in other serving dishes. Although the lemons take 30 minutes to roast, there is additional time spent on preparing the lemons, plus freezing time, so you will need to work that into your schedule.


This is my entry into You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for Frozen Desserts, hosted by Mike's Table. I'm happy to find someone who likes ice cream and other frozen desserts as much as I do. Great event, Mike!

Roasted Lemon Sorbet

Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients

18 lemons, scrubbed
2 cups superfine sugar, plus more to taste
1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, insides scraped out with the tip of a knife

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut 14 of the lemons in half and place in a deep roasting pan. Sprinkle in the sugar and vanilla bean scrapings, and pour in water just to cover the lemons. Stir to combine. Bake, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until edges of lemons begin to caramelize. Here is where I would change the recipe a little-Try baking at 400° for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When I baked at 375°, my lemons took longer to caramelize, thus the time involved was longer than 30 minutes. When baked, let cool to room temperature.

Cut remaining 4 lemons in half and squeeze out the juice. Set juice aside. If using the lemons as serving dishes, use a sturdy teaspoon and scrape out the pulp and pith. Place cups in freezer.

Place a strainer over the bowl of a food processor and squeeze the roasted lemons into the strainer. Roughly chop 3 of the roasted lemon halves and add to the food processor. Puree until smooth. Strain the mixture into another bow. Stir in 4 cups water and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the fresh lemon juice reserved when juicing the 4 lemons for the serving dishes. Taste for sweetness and add more superfine sugar, if needed. The mixture should taste just a bit too sweet as freezing will take away some of the sweetness.

Refrigerate mixture until very cold. Process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Scoop the sorbet into the lemon cups while the mixture is still soft, freeze until ready to serve. Sorbet is best the same day once frozen. Unfrozen, the mixture will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I used a plastic egg keeper that came with my refrigerator to set the sorbet filled lemon halves upright. Smaller lemons work best for this.

7 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, I love anything lemon. I have never tried roasting them, though - this looks good enough for me to try!

Rebecca (Foodie With Family) said...

That looks simply stunning. I've wanted to try roasted lemon for quite some time but wasn't sure where to use the flavors. Thanks for the gorgeous idea!

librariane said...

I'll add this to my list of lemon sorbets to try! Your pictures are gorgeous and quite tempting.

Jude said...

Never heard of roasting lemons before. Interesting twist on the average citrus sorbet for sure.

Andrea said...

I just got a copy of this book and was wondering how this would taste. It looks and sounds wonderful!

Lilandra said...

That's really very pretty...especially the egg-cup look-alike one.

And I like how the yellow and white cloth(?) fits.

Oh, yummy too

sefa firdaus said...

congrats in winning DMBLGIT Aug 2008

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.