Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TWD -La Palette's Strawberry Tart with a Twist-Strawberries, Blueberries and Blackberries

Print Friendly and PDF

What a delight this tart is! I can certainly see how Dorie fell in love with this beautiful dessert with it's crunchy shortbread crust and fresh strawberries poured over the top. Such simplicity, but oh so elegant. The sweet tart dough is called a pate sablee in France and is the basis for many fruit and custard tarts. Following Dorie's directions implicitly in her book, Baking From My Home to Yours ensures a perfect crust. Ground nuts such as almonds, pecans, walnuts and pistachios can be added to the crust mixture before baking.

I bought my last bucket of strawberries from the little farm stand down the road as the season for our local strawberries is nearly over. However, the blackberries and blueberries are now available fresh from the farm. With these three fruits, I made a mixed berry compote sweetened with a little sugar and a splash of Framboise, not too much or you will overpower the fresh berry flavor. With three fruits in mind, I chose a triple berry preserve to spread on the tart crust. Freshly ground pepper is optional, but I encourage you to try it; you'll be amazed that it actually accentuates the sweetness of the berries. Creme Fraiche with it's slightly tart flavor is a perfect topping, but I had no time to make it and refuse to spend the high price of buying it, so whipped cream topped my berry tart.



One of the perks of food blogging is you get to eat the photographed dish! How cool is that! The downside is more days at the gym. I began this food and photography blog mainly to practice my photography skills and combining that with my love of preparing good food, but I had no idea that this would completely sucker me in to the point that everything I prepare, I now want to photograph! It's a bit frustrating. I'm sure I'm not alone! On that note, check out all the posts on La Palette's Strawberry Tart, a great pick from Marie over at A Year at Oak Cottage.

25 comments:

Christine said...

Love all the berries! Beautiful tart!

Engineer Baker said...

Love the mixed berries! So springy

Lori said...

Very pretty pics. The tart looks all dressed up and ready to go. To my stomach that is. Hmmm

Amy said...

Sooo pretty and colorful! Great job!

Marie said...

I love your mixed berry version! Very pretty and looks delicious!

Grace said...

i'd gladly spend a little extra time at the gym for a nibble or 34 of your tart. it's gorgeous and hey--berries are good for you! nicely done! :)

PheMom said...

Beautiful job! I love the mixed berries - so pretty!

Teanna said...

The berries look great! And you are a great photographer! What kind of a camera do you use? I'm looking into investing in one!

bakingwiththeboys said...

Your pictures, as always, are mouthwatering. You have convinced me to try the pepper next time.

CB said...

You are definitely not alone. I've even trained my husband not to eat until I get THEE perfect picture first. HAHA! Tart looks yum. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Rebecca said...

I love the look of these mixed berries. Beautiful choice, and lovely photos!

Prudy said...

Your photos are beautiful. I love the tart and I love that plate!

kim said...

i love your styling! the tart and the berries look gorgeous :)

Susie Homemaker said...

how PRETTY IS that?! Great job!

Erin said...

Your tart looks great with all of the berries!

Dolores said...

This week's tart is week a trip or two to the gym, no? I love your mixed berry approach.

Heather said...

Great idea to use multiple berries! It looks delish!

Gretchen Noelle said...

It is amazing how we begin to think more about the photo than cooking & eating after a while. You are not alone in the obsession! Lovely pics and delicious looking tart!

Linda said...

What a gorgeous mix of berries...beautiful job!

ostwestwind said...

Great berry mix, great looking tart!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Shari said...

Great idea to add in different berries. I loved this tart!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Zakia / The Frosted Bake Shop said...

A berry tart! Looks delicious!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, these tarts are the epitome of elegance!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Oh your mixed berry tarts look gorgeous! This recipe is just so versitile, I love it!

Jaime said...

your mixed berry tart is beautiful! as are your photos

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.