Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Mixed Berry Cobbler

Print Friendly and PDF
I was very happy that Beth of Our Sweet Life chose Dorie's mixed berry cobbler as I had an ample supply of mixed berries, with the exception of strawberries, in my freezer that I had used for La Palette's Strawberry Tart. Cobblers are super easy to make and you can use many toppings with varied ingredients to perk up the dough. My grandmother used to make a peach cobbler that not only had a top crust, but sunk down in the deep dish she would bake the cobbler in, was more dough cooked and glazed with the thickened peach juices, like dumplings. It was the best cobbler I've ever tasted and I've never been able to reproduce it exactly the way she made it.

To the biscuit topping, I added chopped crystallized ginger and to the berry mixture, I added my favorite liqueur, Framboise. The topping is very similar to scones which I have made with the candied ginger and it has been a most requested breakfast item in my family. Here is a post on cream scones that I wrote back in 2006. The currants in the recipe can be replaced with an equal amount of chopped crystallized ginger.


For a golden crust, I brushed the top of the cobbler with some milk and then sprinkled some cinnamon sugar over the top. The result was a lovely brown topping oozing with berry juices. I was disappointed that the thickened juices didn't drip down the sides of my dish as in the photo in Dorie"s book, Baking From My Home to Yours. The drip invokes a cozy, down home atmosphere of childhood. Oh well, another day, another cobbler. Delicious with one of my favorite cream fraiche style toppings. I make half of the recipe below even though it keeps for at least a week or longer.


1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar (add more if desired, to taste)
8 ounces sour cream, you can use low fat sour cream, but not nonfat

Whip cream at low speed with electric beater or by hand. Don't over beat or it will turn to butter. With wire whip, fold in the sugar, mixing well. Drain any water off sour cream. Fold it into the whipped cream. Add more sugar if desired. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Use as needed. Keeps well.

Original whipped topping recipe here.



For some lovely photos and innovative additions and subtractions of this dessert from TWD members, head over to Tuesdays with Dorie.

21 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Those photos are just beautiful - what a wonderful looking dessert!

ostwestwind said...

I agree with the engineer baker, beautiful pictures, nothing more to add but great work

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Pamela said...

Looks really great!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Crystallized ginger and berries!?! Sounds divine!

AutumnRose said...

great photos! looks delicious!

kim said...

loving your photos, as always! what a gorgeous pie pan :) glad you liked it!

Susie Homemaker said...

what pretty pictures...great job!

Kayte said...

Really pretty...you have a knack with the baking and the photographing. Love the idea of the ginger and the also the Framboise (always wonder what I am going to do with the rest of the bottle, and I think I just need to be open to something like this)...thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Your cobbler looks delicious. Your photos are beautiful!

vibi said...

Those pictures are worth any great cooking magazine...
Yeah! I know, the cobbler too!
Great Job!

Christine said...

Your pics are beautiful! Love the idea with ginger! Great looking cobbler!

Linda said...

Gorgeous photos and a delicious looking cobbler! And I love the pretty tablecloth in the first picture.

Lisa Thibault said...

I love the idea of adding ginger to the crust - what a wonderful flavour! Great job.

Rebecca said...

What gorgeous photos! And I love your substitutions.

Barbara said...

Wow, those pictures are worthy of publication! Very beautiful. And your flavorings for the cobbler sound delicious. Good work1

Dolores said...

Ginger... brilliant! And I love the simple topping you served with this.

Jess said...

Lovely cobbler and photos!

Shari said...

Mmm, cinnamon sugar on top sounds delicious! Beautiful food styling!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

PheMom said...

It looks really nice!

rainbowbrown said...

I love your additions. It all sounds quite tasty.

scotbrit said...

Gorgeous photos, Lynne..save some cobbler for me!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.