Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie-Traditional Madeleines

Print Friendly and PDF

I knew I had some madeleine pans somewhere,but I hadn't seen them in a few years, so figured they were packed up with all the other baking pans and kitchen "necessities" that I had no room for. When I found them, I also found a 24 hole cupcake pan, a stainless steel fish poacher with brass handles shaped like fins, and a ulu set that I have bought while on an Alaska cruise. Forgotten "necessities". I don't know why I bought three of the madeline pans, but I'm happy to see them again.

These little scallop shell beauties were fun to make. I made my batter late in the evening so it had an overnight rest in the refrigerator. Next morning, I made sure I buttered and floured my madeleine pans before filling them nearly to the top. After about 14 minutes, they were light golden brown. I resisted eating them as they were going to be dessert with strawberries and ice cream at a neighbor's house that night.

Thanks to Tara of Smells Like Home for choosing Dorie's Traditional Madeleines. Be sure and check out all the TWD posts.


Traditional Madeleines

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Working in a mixer bowl, or in a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the eggs to the bowl. Working with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale, thick and light, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. With a rubber spatula, very gently fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours, or for up to 2 days. This long chill period will help the batter form the hump that is characteristic of madeleines. (For convenience, you can spoon the batter into the madeleine molds, cover and refrigerate, then bake the cookies directly from the fridge; see below for instructions on prepping the pans.)

GETTING READY TO BAKE: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter 12 full-size madeleine molds, or up to 36 mini madeleine molds, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Or, if you have a nonstick pan (or pans), give it a light coating of vegetable cooking spray. If you have a silicone pan, no prep is needed. Place the pan(s) on a baking sheet.

Spoon the batter into the molds, filling each one almost to the top. Don't worry about spreading the batter evenly, the oven's heat will take care of that. Bake large madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes, and minis for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove the pan(s) from the oven and release the madeleines from the molds by rapping the edge of the pan against the counter. Gently pry any recalcitrant madeleines from the pan using your fingers or a butter knife. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool to just warm or to room temperature.

If you are making minis and have more batter, bake the next batch(es), making certain that you cool, then properly prepare the pan(s) before baking.

Just before serving, dust the madeleines with confectioners' sugar.

Makes 12 large or 36 mini cookies

Serving: Serve the cookies when they are only slightly warm or when they reach room temperature, with tea or espresso.

Storing: Although the batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, the madeleines should be eaten soon after they are made. You can keep them overnight in a sealed container, but they really are better on day 1. If you must store them, wrap them airtight and freeze them; they'll keep for up to 2 months.


PS-My husband figured out that I had misspelled madeleines-sorry about the lapse!

36 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

So cute! And I love those little espresso cups!

rainbowbrown said...

Your madeleines look perfect. I love your pans, they're like the ones in the book and I love your espresso cups.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your madeleines look so good! They're flawless.

ostwestwind said...

Great result ! I think the batter is for more than 12 or 36 madeleines!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Bumblebutton said...

Isn't it nice when you can go 'shopping' in your own stuff and come out with prizes? Very sweet!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These do look just perfect! Great job!

Garrett said...

Hopefully your pans don't disappear into a dark nook again, and you'll be making these delicious cakes more often.

CRS said...

They look great and your pictures are fantastic too.

kim said...

your madeleines look beautiful! i love your photo styling as well :)

Rebecca said...

Madeleines with strawberries and ice cream? Yum.

Piggy said...

Love the light golden brown color of your madeleines! Great styling as well!

lemontartlet said...

Your madelines are the star of the show, but those cups are up for a best suporting actors award. Nice job!

Melissa said...

They look perfect!

noskos said...

Great looking madeleines!!

CB said...

Gorgeous pictures! Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Dianne said...

They look great!

Lori said...

Yes they look awesome. Not too mention they are sitting so pretty next to the espresso cups!

mimi said...

love your madeleines, they came out looking perfect!

Dolores said...

You had me with the first photograph! I'm glad you found your madeleine pans... and the other culinary treasures too. Great job!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

don't you love when you find lost treasures! your madeleines llok great!

Chris said...

These are perfect little madeleines! Tha first picture made me giddy! :)

Tracey said...

Love your pictures - they made me smile! Your madeleines are adorable!

Cheryl said...

So cute!

Jaime said...

those are beautiful!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Beautiful photos! Your madeleines look so pretty and delicious!

PheMom said...

They turned out so wonderful! Great job!

Heather said...

Great job! Very cute and delicious!

Annemarie said...

Very nice. I love your pics!

Jj said...

Those look amazing! I don't believe I could ever get them to come out that perfect.

Aardvark Cakes said...

Fabulous pics! Love those cups! Hx

The Kitchen Vixen said...

wow those madeleines are so pretty! they look just like Dorie's;)

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Your photos are beautiful! Madeleines with ice cream and strawberries certainly sound like what I want for dessert!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

I have never tried madeleines before, but you guys have got me thinking. I love your last photo.

Jayne said...

So lovely!

LyB said...

They must have been gorgeous with strawberries and ice cream! They look just perfect! :)

Lynnylu said...

Thanks everyone for all your great comments. I apologize for not replying to each one, but I am on vacation for Memorial Day.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.