Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

Daring Bakers-Potato Bread with a Bonus-Green Olive Focaccia

Print Friendly and PDF





Baking bread is probably the most enjoyable experience that I have in my kitchen. There is nothing more satisfying than a freshly baked homemade loaf of bread, so I was elated when Tanna of mykitcheninhalfcups chose potato bread as the November Daring Bakers challenge.Since I normally used my bread machine's dough cycle to mix and knead, I was especially thrilled to see that one of the rules required hand kneading the dough. I missed feeling the bread in my hands transform from a shaggy mass to satiny elastic dough ready to be shaped for baking.

Tanna's recipe worked quite well with the 16 ounces of potato and made a soft, but manageable dough. I used King Arthur European Artisan Flour suggested as an alternative to all-purpose flour. The finished loaf made great toast and even good French toast, but my favorite part of the challenge was making the Green Olive Focaccia. The potato dough was perfect for the focaccia!















If only the photograph session had been as easy! I realized I had left my trusty Bogen-Manfrotto tripod in Atlanta while visiting my daughter. In a frenzy, I rushed to the local camera store to buy one and although there was a poor selection of sturdy ones, I found one that could possibly support the weight of my hefty Canon 5D and 100mm Macro lens. Halfway through photographing, my Yorkie, Razzle prances in with the body cap for my camera in his mouth and partially chewed. Was I ever going to get this done! Finally, after chasing the dog around the house for my cap and before I lost my light, I got the photos.
A good thing I did for we demolished the focaccia before dinner!

Looking forward to the next Daring Bakers challenge.


24 comments:

skrockodile said...

Very pretty - like your styling on the top shot with the olive oil, etc.,
Sounds like we both had a great time with this one - and daring you for trying 16 ounces!

April said...

Oh yum!! looks delicious!

Mandy said...

I agree that the potato dough is great for focaccia. Love your photos. After knowing how much obstacles you overcome to take this shots, it makes me appreciate the photos more. :D

Shawnda said...

The focaccia looks delicious, great job!

breadchick said...

Yup, nothing like the feel of bread dough in your fingers is there? Great job on the challenge and I love the green olive focaccia.

Meeta said...

Love the olives and oregano focaccia. I had a blast with this too. Nice job!

linda said...

I love the green olive focaccia!

Peabody said...

Oh the bonus green olive focaccia looks fabulous.

SweetDesigns said...

WoW!! Those look amazing!

Gigi said...

I love green olives! I love focaccia! Together = drool. Yummy looking bread.

I(dot)J said...

those olives looks amazing. What a great looking tpb

Jen Yu said...

I just love the look of those fat green olives! Congratulations on some lovely potato bread :)

-jen at use real butter

joey said...

Love the way your focaccia turned out -- looks delicious! I enjoyed making the focaccia too and I'm excited to try it with various toppings :)

Deborah said...

I agree that this bread was perfect for foccacia. And I love the green olives - that looks wonderful!

kitten said...

Your focaccia makes my mouth water, I love the olives pressed into the dough. Your pictures came out gorgeous too!

Julie said...

Oooh, potato bread French toast really sounds awesome! And you're right, the focaccia bread looks awesome! I'm glad you got through the photo shoot with no focaccia or Yorkies harmed!

Tartelette said...

Beautiful green olive focaccia. I can see it why it disappeared real fast!!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job on your breads. I love the olive focaccia.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Lynnylu said...

Thanks everyone for reading my post on the potato bread. I am slowly looking at all the posts. What a great group to belong to!

Dolores said...

Gorgeous focaccia! Glad you were able to salvage the camera equipment from Razzle and still get some perfect pictures.

marias23 said...

Yep, my foccacia turned out to be way more successful than the bread too :)

Christina said...

Beautiful pictures. Your olive-studded focaccia looks divine!

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I just finished breakfast 10 min. ago and now I want lunch--your green olive focaccia. Oh, my, those plump olives nestled in that thick dough is making my mouth water!

Marye said...

great job!! looks delish!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.