Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cauliflower Puree

Print Friendly and PDF












When I began this food blog, encouraged by my sister Martha, who has two very fine blogs- crossing stitches and potpourri, I knew that whatever I made, my husband and I would have to eat as there are only two of us now.

Cauliflower has never been a favorite food , as a matter of fact, white food in general-blanquette de veau comes to mind, is not a favorite. Vanilla ice cream and white desserts are exceptions. When Lara of Still Life With... whose photos are top notch and is admin of SLW-a group on Flickr chose white food as the January assignment, I had to re-think white food.

While strolling around the produce section of my local grocery store, I espied a beautiful cauliflower and before I knew it, this gorgeous white vegetable was in my cart and I was headed home to cook -WHITE FOOD!! Actually, this is one of the tastiest cauliflower dishes I have eaten! It's such a simple dish to prepare and the sauteed cauliflower slices give a little color and texture to the puree.


Cauliflower Puree

1 head of cauliflower, florets trimmed and roughly chopped. Reserve a few slices for garnish.
1 cup water
2-3 Tablespoons light sour cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
Salt and White Pepper to taste

Combine cauliflower and water in a medium pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove florets from pot and place in the bowl of a food processor, adding 1-2 tablespoons of cooking water. Puree until smooth. Add sour cream and butter and process another 10 seconds or so. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, saute a few slices of cauliflower in a tablespoon of butter until tender and lightly brown.

3 comments:

The Mommy Chef said...

This recipe sounds wonderful.It might even fool my children! Thanks for posting.I enjoy reading your blog.

Michele said...

I love this recipe, Lynnylu- especially as an alternative to mashed potatoes. These have to be way better for us :). Thanks for sharing the recipe. We are so excited to have it included in this week's FoodieView Recipe Roundup!

Rituparna said...

This looks absolutely mouth watering. My hubbies favorite veggie is cauliflower & this is a really good idea.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.